The ideal video codec ?
19 Aug 2009What would the idea video codec look like ? Here's a list of suggestions:
1. Just one video codec (instead of the ever-increasing number of competing video coding formats).
2. Delivers the best performance, i.e. a combination of:
a. maximum image quality and frame rate
b. minimum bit rate
c. minimum computational complexity or power consumption,
- the best combination of these factors for the platform (e.g. mobile, hardware, software...)
3. Easy upgrades (preferably completely transparent to the user) to take advantage of new ideas and techniques.
4. No license fees (or at least a license-free option).
5. No inter-operability problems.
6. Easy scalability (the same content on multiple platforms at multiple resolutions).
Impossible ? Maybe...
Comments very welcome !
---- Professor Iain Richardson is the author of four books on video compression. He leads Vcodex, providers of expert advice on video compression and multimedia communications. http://vcodex.com